Morton firefighters and paramedics carried an elderly woman out of a first-floor bedroom and outdoors to safety Oct. 5 as the second floor of a home filled with smoke.
The woman, who was on oxygen, was unable to leave the home at 209 N. First Ave., on her own, said Morton Fire Chief Joe Kelley, so she was disconnected from the oxygen, placed in a chair and taken outside.
Paramedics provided oxygen for the woman until her supply could be retrieved.
Kelley said the rental home did not have smoke detectors, a violation of a state law. It has them now.
"We left two ready-to-be installed smoke detectors there," Kelley said. "We buy smoke detectors each year with a $1,000 grant we get from Walmart for situations like we encountered (Oct. 5)."
Firefighters arrived at the North First Avenue home near downtown at about 12:30 p.m., and extinguished a fire in a second-floor bedroom that filled the second floor with smoke.
The first floor had a haze and smoke could be smelled, Kelley said, but it wasn't smoke-filled.
Fire investigators determined the fire was started by a child playing with a lit candle. The flame from the candle caught clothes on fire, Kelley said.
"Not the clothes the child was wearing," he said.
The child's mother and grandmother were in the home when the fire started. The grandmother is the woman who was carried from the home.
"The mother tried to put out the fire and when she couldn't do it, she called 911," Kelley said.
There were no injuries and damage to the home is estimated at $5,000 to $10,000.
Kelley said three other children and another adult live at the home. They were not home at the time of the fire.
Steve Stein can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @SpartanSteve.