Though registration has closed for FEMA assistance to individuals and households after the severe weather and flooding of April 16-May 5, officials urge applicants to stay in touch with the agency for several reasons.
Applicants should contact FEMA when:
• Contact information has changed including a new address, telephone number or email address;
• Asking for a Small Business Administration application;
• Wanting to know about the inspection process;
• There is an update or settlement from an insurance company;
• Tracking status of an application;
• Seeking information on how to appeal a decision;
• And looking for information on how to rebuild stronger.
The application period ended but not the availability of FEMA as a resource.
FEMA also offers information on other disaster assistance programs and services.
Registration with FEMA has ended for individuals and households but federal assistance continues to flow to Illinois as the state recovers from storms and flooding that occurred April 16 through May 5. More than $151 million has now been distributed among more than 61,000 individuals and households.
The latest summary of federal assistance, dated Aug. 9, includes:
• More than $151 million in FEMA grants approved for individuals and households;
• Of that amount, more than $130 million has been approved for housing assistance, including temporary rental assistance and home repair costs;
• More than $21 million has been approved to cover other essential disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses and damaged personal possessions;
• More than 90,000 home inspections have been completed to confirm disaster damage;
• More than $59 million in loans to homeowners, renters or business owners has been approved by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Registration for disaster assistance for individuals and families of 35 counties affected by the disaster ended Aug. 8.
How to reach FEMA:
• Visit www.DisasterAssistance.gov
• Visit m.fema.gov via a web-enabled phone
• Dial the FEMA Helpline 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily
• Call 800-621-3362 for 711 Relay or Video Relay Services
• Choose Option 2 for Spanish and Option 3 at the Helpline if in need of assistance in other languages.