Sign-ups begin this weekend for Washington Recreation Association in-house baseball (kindergarten through eighth grade) and softball (6-to-18-year-olds).
Sign-ups are set for: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and March 2 in the foyer of the Central Primary gym; and from 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday and March 3 in the foyer of Central’s Holford Gym.
New for this season, the in-house baseball program will be dictated by grade and not by age.
Boys currently in kindergarten will be placed in the new “kindergarten-only” Pinto League ($70 fee); boys currently in first or second grade will be placed in Farm League ($70 fee); boys currently in third or fourth grade will be placed in Mustang League ($80 fee); boys currently in fifth or sixth grade will be placed in Bronco League ($80 fee); and boys currently in seventh or eighth grade will be placed in Pony/TAP League ($80 fee), which participates in inter-community play.
The change to grade-based groupings instead of birth dates allows all recreational players to play with their current classmates in the same grade. “Playing up” no longer will be allowed.
There also is a new addition to the girls in-house softball program this year.
Besides the Pixie League (6-8 years old, $70 fee), Junior League (9-10 years old, $80 fee) and Intermediate League (11-13 years old, $80 fee), a new Senior League (14-18 years old, $80 fee) program is available.
Girls signing up for Senior League will be placed on teams with girls from other local communities and games will be played at Oliver Thomas Park and EastSide Centre.
Other WRA baseball/softball dates of interest for the 2013 season are:
• Baseball in-house player evaluations (all in-house baseball players must attend one of these sessions to be evaluated for the player draft), 2 to 4 p.m. March 23-24 at Washington Park.
• Baseball in-house player draft and equipment issue, 7 p.m. April 9 at Washington Park District.
• Softball in-house player draft and equipment issue, 7 p.m. April 10 at WPD.
• In-house baseball and softball practices, April 29-May 24.
• Baseball in-house clinics, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. April 29, May 6, May 13 and May 20.
• WRA Jamboree, 8:30 a.m. to noon May 18, Washington Park.
• WRA baseball and softball game begin, May 28.
• Scheduled end of regular season in-house games, July 10.
• WRA baseball and softball in-house tournaments, July 15-20.
• WRA baseball and softball cookout/pool party, 6 to 9 p.m. July 24 at Washington Park Pool.